The City of Buckeye is the fastest growing city in the U.S. and Arizona’s largest city by land area with more than 639 square miles of municipal planning area.
Since 2000, Buckeye’s population has grown from 6,537 to an estimated 86,000 today, or an increase of over 79,000 people. Growth within Buckeye is expected to increase in the coming years, as other areas within metro Phoenix are built out or are constrained by physical and geopolitical limitations (i.e. Indian communities, U.S. Forest Service lands, mountain ranges, etc.). Buckeye’s entitled land can support an ultimate build out population of over 1.5 million, which would make it the second most populous city in Arizona after the City of Phoenix.
The Jan. 1, 2020 city estimate of 86,000 is based on the following methodology:
- •MAG estimate for 7/1/19 is 81,624
- •During 2019 the City issued 2,651 new residential building permits.
- •Average household size per U.S. Census figures is 3.2 persons per household
- •2,651 new units with 3.2 persons per unit equals 8,483 new residents for the entire year
- •The new estimated population on 1/1/20 would therefore be: 81,624 (7/1/19 MAG estimate) + 4,242 (8,483 population growth x 0.5 year) = 85,866 estimated population -- rounded to 86,000
Source: Maricopa Association of Governments (MAG) Socioeconomic Projections of Population, housing and Employment, July 1, 2019
*Source: Buckeye Special Census 2015
With a rapidly growing population, Buckeye’s average household income is projected to increase by almost $15,000 and average home values to increase by over $40,000 over the next five years.
|City of Buckeye (Master Planning Area)||2019||2024|
|Population 16+ in Labor Force||94.7%||-|
|Median Household Income||$67,380||$77,252|
|Average Household Income||$84,028||$99,085|
|Average Household Size||3.55||3.55|
|Average Home Value||$299,937||$340,136|
Source: ESRI Business Analytics Online, Jan. 2020
Drive Times for Population from Verrado Way & I-10
Source: ESRI Business Analytics Online, Jan., 2020.